This is a poor, tiny community with big needs. Helping out connects you personally and every small contribution goes a long way. It is not a drop in the bucket here. Your involvement or your money can make an immediately noticeable difference. And no matter what your interest, there is a way to participate!
Do you like Schools?
The Heavy Lifters Club works with the parent associations at the primary and secondary school in Barra to maintain the schools. Here at the beach the maintenance is never ending; the needs are constant and governmental support is minimal. Thanks to funding by a small group of anonymous contributors and labor donated by parents, they are not falling down! If you would like to support this effort, contact Barbara Erickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animals Need Help Too
Amigos de Animales is a small animal welfare group in Barra de Potosi, Mexico.
working to :
– reduce overpopulation of cats and dogs through our Free Spay and Neuter program
– find loving homes for abandoned stray animals
– educate people about animal care and welfare
Amigos de Animales relies on the help of the community to facilitate the program.
Whether you live here or are just visiting, you can help change a life.
By offering your home as a temporary foster for abandoned or injured animals,
trapping feral cats for neutering, volunteering for community events and fundraisers,
or simply making donations, you will help save lives that are unable to save themselves.
If you want to share a clean, animal friendly Barra de Potosi and Playa Blanca,
please visit our web page and participate. Thank you!
Whales of Guerrero Project aims to study humpback whales in this little explored area of Mexico, provide local fishermen and boat operators with a means to survive without further depleting natural resources and promote a unique region as worth visiting and protecting.
- Build a data profile of marine mammals in the region through a 10-week field study, as they have never been studied here before
- Educate people – young and old, nationals, foreign residents and visitors – about the local marine mammals through fun, informative programs and events
- Support the development of informed, responsible ecotourism by offering marine naturalist training to local boat operators
- Promote sustainable ecotourism through naturalist expeditions, volunteer vacations and scientific marine eco-excursions
And let’s not forget the turtles!
Campamento Tortuguero Ayotlcalli works all along Last Best Beach to collect turtle eggs to protect them from predators (especially the two legged kind). You can visit their camp on donated land on the beach road to the airport from Barra de Potosi. Or you can call Allan and ask if he has any crias (hatchlings) to release and for a nice donation he will bring them to your hotel/casa/b&b for release. Here is their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ayotlcalli – Call Allan at 755-102-0782 or 755-121-1021